2nd December 2015 began unusually with many wake up calls in many forms. I had few calls from my neighbors and lots of noise in the street at 1 am in the midnight. My neighbors are such lovely people they never do anything crazy like that without a reason. The call that I picked was that of Priscilla and she informed me about an uninvited guest to our street, the flood waters in Chennai due to heavy rains and opening of Chemparampakkam lake.
It had been a relentlessly rainy day on 1st of December, sheets of water hitting Chennai continuously for more than 24 hours without a break since morning and added to it, there was no electricity and we had slept early. After Priscilla’s call, we woke up to a lot of confusion and I just managed to see the water glisten in our street in the darkness from our balcony. Told J lets quickly move – he gave me that super confident look and said “ No way. The water will not get in to our house”. That question stoked the wickedness of a typical wife and I gave him the coldest look on a really dark night and asked him, Why? Is the water scared of you? The Husband in him got the message.
- Our uninvited guest was with us exactly for a day and left without a trace, only after creating enough damage all around.
- We didn’t opt for evacuation as we could manage pretty well at home, though we struggled without power.
- The flooding had taken away the livelihoods of many people and unimaginable loss to loads of people in Chennai.
- I am still running the kitchen from the second floor. Waiting for the ground floor walls to dry up so that we can paint and disinfect the walls. In spite all the salvaging, we had to throw away a lot of stuff.
- The water rose up to 10 feet within our house, missing our first floor roof by a feet or so. We have to clean every square mm of our house and its frustrating.
- Having said all this, I am thankful to be alive. I also realize calamities end up being great levelers.
Surender to what is,
let go of what was, and
have faith in what will be.
New year is on the way.
I wish you all Joy, Love, Laughter and lots of happy moments and memories in the year 2016. God bless.