Tuesday, September 03, 2013

Once more !!!

I must have been 7 or may be 8 or a year more… not definitely more than that. And I distinctly remember the taste. I had never seen that big a chocolate till then. That chocolate was melting in the mouth. And can you believe I couldn’t eat one fully. Though I liked it, I very unwillingly gave the remaining to my brother to eat. By the time, I ate three fourths of it, I was becoming sick of all that sweetness. Strange I remember how I was lying down with my legs on the side stand of our cot, even today.

It was Cadburys dairy milk bar – I didn’t know the name of it, then.

And they were brought to us by my Uncle, my moms brother. We had two uncles and this was the older one from Bangalore. He was a man of few words and we were actually a little scared of him. Whenever he came home, ( be it to chennai or to Kerala, he made sure he visited when we were spending holidays in our maternal home), he brought large cartons of fruits and lots and lots of chocolates.

There was another memory associated with him. I remember he used to bring a bundle of change and we children were allowed to take as much change we could with our hands. Cousins of my age, who used to spend our holidays with, then, fought with each other lovingly, to grab as much as we can, ( which anyway later went to our mothers, as there was no concept of pocket money )

All these memories came flooding to my mind when I was again at my maternal home couple of weeks back. These were memories stashed away in some corner of the mind and I almost didn’t know they even existed.

When I saw him lying there, in the same place, where Ammama was lying, just 10 months back, it all came back from nowhere just to haunt me for having forgotten them all these years. Weird.

All I can do now is Pray for his soul to rest in peace. 

7 comments:

  1. Oh No. Condolences Vincy. We join in the prayer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry for your loss. Condolences Vincy

    ReplyDelete
  3. There is definitely that one uncle that we always know of for his chocolates and talk about heartily!
    Let his soul rest in peace!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm sorry for your loss Vincy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ur uncle giving u loose change reminded me of an incident too. I went on a school excursion to Kanyakumari & my Uncle was supposed to come to the Trivandrum station to just to say hi. At the station I kept looking for him out of the door and i didnt see him anywhere. Just when the train started moving I caught sight of him[he was all confused because there were 100's of school girls in 3-4 bogeys;-D] and he started running along with the train. We spoke for maybe 30-40 seconds before the train picked up speed. I opened the bundle he had placed in my hands. It had a huge packet of roasted cashew nuts & a smaller packet which I opened to see a bundle of new crisp 1 rupee notes. For a long time after tht my school mates to used to ask me abt 'the uncle who gave you 100 one rupee notes':-)).

    ReplyDelete
  6. where is new post.....huh, huh???
    It's going to be 2 months;-o....update soon.

    ReplyDelete
  7. May his soul rest in peace
    take care Vincy

    ReplyDelete

Would love to hear from you, my blog readers!!! Comments, muaah's, likes and opinions accepted. :-) :-)