Saturday, March 24, 2012

Helpless listening

What do you do when a friend who is going through a personal emotional struggle calls you and tells some of the greif that the person is going through?  I just listened.  completely  ..with all my attention. 

As I listened to this conversation, a myriad set of emotions were going through me..  helplessness, sadness, empathy, you know what, I so wanted to be just there for this friend to be of some form of consolation.. but I guess I did nothing.. I just listened.

And then I realised what a wonderful friend I have in this person.  I was so proud to have this person as a good friend.  Being an independant consultant for large MNC's across the nation, the assignments of my friend depended a lot on his customers and their dates.  Inpsite of this, the willingness to spend the precious, valuable time with an ailing father leaving behind his own family in another state and completely supporting the parents truly touched me. I did manage to mumble to my freind that the parents are real lucky ones, even though I know they all are in immense pain right now.

The last two weeks has especially been bad for my freinds father with his abdominal cancer consuming him almost completely making him unable to eat or drink. Thats when my friend decided to spend time with them ( parents) who live here in Chennai.  Some of the details of the pain and grief the parents ar going through really brought tears to my eyes, but all I did was just listen.

Death seems so close and it looks like they are expecting this unwanted treachourous visitor anytime.. really anytime.  How does it feel for the person going through this?  Its truly difficult to comprehend the sombre period the family is passing through too.

Ostentiably the family, I am sure is going through terrible trauma with the father down with this terminal illness and all odds heavily stacked against his survival.  My mind was going out to my friends mother, who must be bearing the brunt of it all.  I had this sinking feeling that I am unable to support my friend in any way other than just listen.  Insignificant, I know

I wanted to say a hundred things to console my friend, but I guess all that was needed was some ardent prayers and all I did was listen with moist eyes.

May God bless my friend for being such a wonderful soul, and I am begging God to give this family strength to go through this testing time.

and I will be around to listen. and to pray.  for my friend and the family.

A friend sent this to me in response to a prayer request and found it quite meaningful  "Love is stronger than death even though it can't stop death from happening, but no matter how hard death tries it can't separate people from love. It can't take away our memories either. In the end, life is stronger than death"

P.S: anyone reading this post, I request a silent prayer for my friends family and especially the father for a easy passover to our Lord's abode.

P.S added on 27th of March :  My friends father passed away this morning.  Thank you for all your prayers.  Eternal peace grant unto him O Lord, may his soul Rest In Peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Would love to hear from you, my blog readers!!! Comments, muaah's, likes and opinions accepted. :-) :-)